Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Be 'Real'


  In my experience..kids can spot fake a mile a way. If my desire is to reach their hearts with the love of Christ, showing He is real, then I need to be real as well...but what does that mean?
    Being real to a child means showing them who you are. I am a farm girl and through the years of sharing the realness of my every day life: gardens, flocks and stocks, has opened doors for conversation and sharing. It shows them where we have a common bond..i.e. a love of animals, pets in our lives or growing things. Simple aspects that spark conversations and give us a connection we might not have had. Children may only see me in my classroom..so being real gives them a glimpse into the me they have not seen. Glimpses of my life enter my classroom through objects shared in a story, pictures that aide in a lesson, or conversations had during play.
    Some time being real is in the response to things. One day a child shared their hurt feelings over her parents' correction in response to her action. Now, to the child the parents were unfair because her intention was to play with her sibling not harm her. We talked about the reality that her parents responded to what they saw and understood..not out of unkindness or cruelty. Parents are real..they make mistakes..and so do I. Sharing my own humanity about making mistakes helps, and sharing that we I needed forgiven for my mistake helped this little one to forgive as well. They don't need too many details or too much information, but knowing we struggle in the same way gives validity to the lesson shared.
   Real can is being honest. Admitting your having an off day or your tired. My classroom atmosphere is generally energetic and creative, but there were just days I didn't have it in me. Here in come being honest...sure we did our work and we learned and played- not with the usual level of vigor, but I was honest with them in that I wasn't mad at anyone or sick.I was just having a tough day. Again, no details are needed and the issue doesn't need to be overly dramatic..but reassurance comes when it is clear no one is mad or in trouble. We got through it and returned to normal the next time. They have off days, and there is strength in the reality we do too.
   Finally, being real- in my opinion- means being forgiven. I mess up..sometimes I react before I have the details..or correct without the whole picture..I need to be forgiven. The most powerful message can often be admitting our weakness/mistake and making it right by seeking that forgiveness. If I have wrongfully corrected a student and the truth has come to my attention, I believe in admitting that wrong and asking forgiveness. Modeling this simple yet difficult act teaches far more powerfully than simply talking about it.
   In the end, most things are caught rather than taught. I would rather what they caught was real in hopes they realize the realness of their parents, siblings, friends, and ultimately their Savior.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment